Tuesday, October 27, 2009

What I Learned at the Summit – Part 2

“They Call It A Job For A Reason.” This is what the Publisher of the Washington Blade said in a workshop as she referred to our generation and our attitude toward work. I was the youngest person in the room and I wanted to stand up and say, “Excuse me?” But I knew that she was partly- well maybe more than partly- right. I don’t think I am as lazy as some but I do think our generation expects to have things handed to them. They expect to have Facebook time at work. They expect to have weekends off and not stay late.

I'm not saying that I have never been guilty of wanting to skip out early. But then again, I think of all the times we put so much time and energy into a company to just be let down. Take Arena Stage for instance; I worked so many hours and put in so much extra time because I loved the job but more importantly because I truly cared about the company and my work there. Was it life or death if I didn’t finish the budget reports on time? No. But I personally just couldn’t let them sit undone. And then the company hit on hard times and I was laid off. I was even more heartbreaking because I had tried so hard while I was there. Many days when I was sick I would come in only so I would not let the team down.


My point is that while we should care about our work and try our best, there is a point that you have to reach a work-life balance. Don’t expect your boss to make your job easy. Expect him to challenge you, test you and most importantly, make you a better employee and person. Put in the hours without sacrificing your sanity.


Lynne Brown, the Publisher of the Blade, said she could host a whole panel on “our generation” and our work ethic. When I sat next to her later in the day I asked her about that and said I would love to be a part of that panel. Are we lazy? Or are we just smarter about work / life balance? I am really curious to hear your thoughts.

9 comments:

  1. I would be interested in hearing what "our" generation has to say about this, particurally in terms of 1st job vs. subsequent ones. My first "real" job was at Arena. I moved to DC to work at Arena. All my friends were related to my job in some way. There was no work/life balance...work was my life, life was my work. Its changed since I've moved on to another company in the same city...I have friends outside of work, Im involved in other aspects of my community. It feels alot better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sick of all the crap 'our generation' gets about having "unrealistic expectations" about work. Whatever, unions and activists fought for decades to achieve the eight hour day and five day work week. To suddenly have all these corporate sponsored experts tell me that expectations of having, I dunno, time to actually enjoy life makes our or any generation lazy is far off the mark, in my opinion. For an alternative view check out Tamara Draut's book 'Strapped: Why America's 20- and 30-somethings can't get ahead' (www.strappedthebook.com), makes you realize we're not such a pampered bunch after all.

    Ok, rant done. Enjoy the blog thoroughly, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Andy (I'll have to check out that book).

    I always thought we were the generation getting over worked, but maybe that is just my industry. I have a hard time thinking of anyone I know that has 8 hour days.

    The only thing I would take from her observation is that the young employees at the Blade are lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think there is definitely a generational difference in thinking about life/work balances. For me, I am a HUGE proponent of making sure work is not your only life and you require time for family, friends, and outside interests. I think it both helps socially and also broadens your world and interests which I believe ultimately helps you in the workplace. An overworked (many times underappreciated in the arts..pay scales anyone?) employee is beneficial to no one as they feel battered and work output suffers for the company. Yes, I work over 40 hours when it's needed...and I come in Saturdays from time to time for work. But, if a workplace is constantly asking its employees to work over the normal work schedule then perhaps an audit of staff level and distribution of responsibilities is needed, eh?

    I also see people in my company and in my family who do work more than most and I think...I'm only on this Earth for a short time...do I really want to spend it my job? And that's how I see my job...it's just a job...not my entire life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to respond to Josh's comments. She was not talking about her employees although that might play a part. I am a little torn. I see people my age slack off and it gets me angry becuase I have put in more time and we are doing the same job. This blog sparked a debate at my dinner table tonight. The thought was every generation says this about the one that follows. Thanks to everyone for the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tammy-just an observation, but you no longer work in the arts. And Jared, I saw on your Facebook recently that you spent 24 hours at Shakespeare Theatre Company and didn't even go home to sleep. I think the work/life balance is a large issue in the arts no matter where you work. It just is. So you better love the company you work for and what you do, or move on because it just isn't worth it otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chad-so? Its still a venue based around events. I did my fair share of 80+ hour work weeks this summer (working 8:30a-11p 14 days straight, working thru the weekend, and having just one day in July where I didnt go into the office...)

    I think my comment was more along the lines of: its not the schedule or the work-demands that determines a work/life balance. Its how you handle it and who you surround yourself with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S. I should have said I obviously haven't figured it out. I was with a British friend yesterday who reminded me that I should have been born in Europe where the average work week is 35 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't remind me that I worked 23 hours. However that was the exeption. Yes I do love what I do or I wouldn't be doing it. I think we are all constantly struggling with this issue.

    ReplyDelete