Monday, November 2, 2009

Entertainment Review: This Is It

This is the first review I have done because it can get a little touchy reviewing local theatre when I have the job I have. However, there is something I think you should see, and so I will share my thoughts.

This Is It, the new Michael Jackson concert documentary, is great. I have overheard people say it is not really him or that it is bad. Both are false. Because this footage was not meant to be seen by the public, director Kenny Ortega has to piece together several days to get different shots. There are no great camera shots by movie standards, but it gives you an up close and personal look at the brilliance that Michael Jackson has as a performer. Whatever you may think about his personal life, after seeing this movie you will have no doubt about the artistic genius and leadership he takes on in his concerts. You can see him work over and over until he gets everything right. He settles for nothing but perfection.

There are some cheesy moments where I think Ortega wanted you to see all his hard pre-filming work for the concert that was not necessary. But overall, this is a must-see movie.

There is only a little over a week of this film left, and I have to recommend that you go and see this in theatres where the sound and size of the show are as close as we will ever get to see the concert.

If you have seen the movie please leave your comments below because I am interested in what others have thought.


No comments:

Post a Comment