Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Being Laid Off

Last week, I heard of another local theatre who laid off more employees in an effort to keep costs down. This is a trend we're seeing all over the country, and, unfortunately, maybe it's happened to you. Having been laid off myself, I thought I would share some of the things I did to look for jobs.

First off, check with your old employer. Chances are it was nothing you did, but just financial times that contributed to the loss of your job. So check with your old boss and Human Resources to see what is out there. (This is actually how I first heard about the job I have now.)

Second, ask your contacts if there is any position they might know of that is open. They might have friends who need someone with your skills. Use Facebook and other networking tools to reach out. Don’t be ashamed of being laid off. They are expecting 3 million Americans will be laid off this year.

Thirdly, I suggest you make a job out of finding a job. I woke up at 9:00 a.m. every day to look for work. I typed cover letters, edited my resume, and read books about finding jobs. There is a great book called What Color Is Your Parachute. It is a must read if you are job hunting!

Lastly, budget, budget, budget! Look at your severance package, any income you may have, and your savings. Sign up for unemployment fast. Take all this into consideration, and determine how long you can live on it. See what you can cut, and make a plan. I knew exactly when I would run out of money. My credit cards were clear, and I was going to use them as a last resort to move home if need be. It would have not been pretty, but I knew exactly when it was coming.

I was really fortunate to have found a job, but I was zeroing in a couple of job options near the end of my three month layoff. So remember to look everywhere and reach out to find jobs, and treat job hunting like a job. And most importantly, remember to budget!


No comments:

Post a Comment