Monday, July 27, 2009

Google Toolbox

I love Google. I have found so many useful and free things on there. I talked about Google Analytics a while back, and today I will share another favorite, Google Alerts. Google Alerts will send you updates of anything you want as they happen on the World Wide Web.

If there is a project I am interested in, I “google” it. I have alerts tagged on myself, my employer, theatres, and things I am interested in. I have chosen to get the once-a-week option, so once every a week I get a report on my name. Who knew there was a promising high school athlete with the same name? When he makes the news, I get updates. When I start to make the news, the updates will be about me. But my blog and twitter accounts show up every week. If someone else blogs about me, it shows up too.

In the age of the Internet, there is no excuse for not knowing what information is out there on you. I was speaking with a writer last week about a show he is producing. He thought he had an original name for the musical about an assisted living community. Well, when I “googled” it, I found a dozen such communities with that exact name. I was surprised to hear him say he never looked up the name online.

Have you “googled” your name lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment