Monday, December 7, 2009

Christmas Cards

It is that time of year. Christmas cards (or now more likely holiday cards) will be flying around soon and probably landing in your mailbox. I actually think the idea is wonderful and a great way to remind people that you appreciate them and their business.

The expense is maybe just too great, though. Looking at all the budgets that are tightening, I wonder if emailing a personal note of some kind my have just as much affect. I have about 125 people in my small department alone that I want to receive cards, but I think the money could be put to better use.

I am going to think about this and poll a couple of people and get back to you. But please write a comment about what you think of Christmas cards. Not from Grandma, but from the business perspective.

3 comments:

  1. I think that we are so over saturated with e-mails - the personal touch will be very hard to come through, while recieving something in the mail, even if it's just a postcard (which is cheaper) is worth the expense.
    Just my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with Cory. Our fundraising team just finished signing about 800 Christmas cards to stakeholders and donors. Personal touches are invaluable for relationship building.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Odd phenominon in sports...all the teams get organization holiday cards and send them to each other (ie...the Ticket office will get a stack of Nationals cards, sign 'em, and mail to the other MLB ticket offices.) I remember being so tickled and pleased when the Arena box office was sent a card from the Nats Ticket Ops staff last year. And this year we've moved to e-cards in an effort to "go green." Helps the budget too I suppose. Plus I think its a little too late in the season to order the cards!

    ReplyDelete