Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Look the Part


So I know these postings might seem mundane to some but they are points of professionalism that apply to every business and are sometimes overlooked.

First impressions are always important. On a consulting job yesterday one of the media people had on a vest of lots pockets and it looked like he was ready to go into the jungle and film. I asked why the get-up and he said it is handy to have the extra pockets on the vest but he told me the real reason was to look the part. If you want to be taken serious as a leader dress up. It lets people know you are taking them / their project seriously.

I dress up every day at my job and not because I have to but because I never know who I will meet. I have had commercial producers stop by and want to meet and see the space I rent. I also feel like I get a little more respect because it shows I take what I do seriously. I am not saying that people who wear jeans don’t take their job seriously but it is different.

I attend several conferences where some in the room are dressed to impressed. Not dressed in suits but have on ties or at least a nice button up shirt. Then there are some others dressed in jogging suits. I am all for being comfortable but what if you run into
Ken Davenport (my favorite blogger). Would he be impressed? Who would he take more seriously? Just be aware of your surroundings and remember in this business you have to market yourself. Your appearance sends a message to everyone you meet. What message are you sending?

No comments:

Post a Comment