Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Job Market Part 1

Today one of my colleges noted that he was looking to fill a position with our company. Someone else said it should be an easy time to fill a job because so many people are looking. I know in the DC area many theatres have had to lay off staff to try and make their fiscal goals. So I wondered what kinds of jobs are out there right now.

I have personally found only two sights to be really useful when looking for work. First,
Playbill.com has a great jobs page but is geared more toward NYC and commercial theatre whereas Artsearch (my other favorite) is geared more toward regional and educational theatre.

Yesterday I went through the Artsearch site and looked at the job data to see what kind of jobs were posted this month. I split them into 11 categories and the descriptions and results are below. There were 101 jobs posted on Artsearch for the month of April.

27 Technical – TD, ME, Shop Managers, Crews, ect. (costumes included)
18 Education – Education Department for a theatre or Faculty at a college
13 Interns – Any kind of Intern or Apprentice
9 Leadership – Artistic Directors, Managing Directors, General Managers
8 Sales / Marketing – includes Group Sales, Marketing, PR, Box Office
7 Management – Production Man, Stage Man, ASM, Company Man.
7 Other – Random jobs that did not fit anywhere else
5 Development – Development Staff and Directors
4 Design – Costume, Scene, Lighting, Sound Designers and Assistants
2 Business – Accounting, Bookkeepers
1 Artistic – Directors, Choreographers

Are they posting jobs you are qualified for? Should you be learning more about the technical or educational fields? People ask why I am always looking at job postings if I am happy in my job, which I am. The reason is to know what’s out there and be aware of tends. Plus I like to be helpful and if I see a job that is right for someone I know I pass along that information. Being aware of the job market in my industry makes me an asset to my friends and to my network.

When I have more time I will do a bigger analysis of the jobs by expanding the time frame. Again this is from one site and that site caters more toward Educational and Regional Theatres.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jared, Its Daren from Webster. -- Found out about your blog via Facebook and I have a question for you.

    Currently I don't have a subscription to Arts Search (just not worth the small financial investment at this time). Can you do me a favor and see if Pegasus Players in Chicago have posted anything?-- Their AD is stepping down and I want to throw my name into the hat but nothing has been posted on our local network sites at the moment-- I was wondering if they posted there.

    Thanks- Hope your doing well. I'd love to chat with you in the future about the DC Theatre scene. My BF would like to re-locate there in the future and I don't know much about the theatre community there. (time to start researching)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daren, I will look. The DC Theare Scene is great. I would be happy to talk to you about it anytime. You should come check it out.

    Jared

    ReplyDelete