Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Networking 2.0

This will be the first in a series of blogs about networking. I think networking is perhaps the most important part of theatre management / producing. I joke about how much I eat and drink every time I go to New York because I have so many people to see and it’s easy to say lets grab a bite or go get a coffee.

One particular way I network is by writing “welcome cards.” I compose little cards to individuals in theatre who come to DC to start a new job in theatre. I recently got invited to meet with a new Managing Director in town because of one of those welcome cards.

(And so grows my network.)

I have done this many times and each time it I get another connection in the business and better yet, in my city. I start the note by welcoming them to town and their new job. Then I let them know that I am more than happy to be used as a resource if there is anything they might need. I also invite them to meet up for lunch or coffee (go figure). This particular Managing Director, who I am meeting with in a couple of weeks, is really exciting because he is a commercial theatre producer. Something I am trying to do myself.

This is just one example of how I network. There are many ways to do it and I will talk about more later, but how do you network? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment