Friday, May 1, 2009

Surround Yourself with the Best

We are in a collaborative business. We work with lots of various people on one project. There are actors, directors, designers, stage managers, marketers, and many other people.

By surrounding yourself with the best you share knowledge and become even smarter. At a previous job I got the opportunity to hire someone that could, in part, assist me with budgeting. It was an obvious choice for me. I had an intern two years earlier who was a wiz with budgets and excel. By having her in my office things got done faster and there was more time to do other projects that I had been putting off.

Another example is
Pride and Prejudice, a show I am helping produce. The lead producer wanted to know more about social media and how it could help spread the word and raise money for her show. Right away I knew two people that she should talk to. In a couple of emails a conference call was set and she got to listen to valuable information about what was going on in social media and how it could be used to help her. One of those people has a small empire of followers on Twitter and Facebook. The other has yet to make a website to reference, but he is a very smart grad student that is looking at how producers can fund a show with a lot of small investors as appose to a few large investors.

A friend once told me I was the most important person in his network. That was one of the best complements I could have gotten. We are good friends and I and I know we would be friends no matter what, but we both love to get together and brainstorm. Some exciting ideas come from those sessions that we both use.

So surround yourself with the smartest people and bring as many ideas to the table as you can get. Who knows what may come?

2 comments:

  1. You're so smart. ;)

    You're going on my igoogle blog feed - but I have generally found that the moment I do that, the person in question promptly stops writing their blog.

    Don't do that.
    Please.

    :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I promise to write every weekday until I run out of things to write about. Thanks for following me!

    Jared

    ReplyDelete