Friday, August 14, 2009

DC Regional 09-10 Season

I was looking through several local companies’ seasons, and I thought now would be a good time to highlight the shows I really want to see in the D.C. area.

First is The Musical of Musicals, the Musical at Metro Stage in Arlington. I love this soundtrack but have never actually seen the show. If you like musicals, this is a great show that makes fun of Sondheim, Kander and Ebb, Webber, and more. It is fast and witty.

There are two shows I really want to see at Arena Stage. First is The Light In the Piazza by Craig Lucas and Adam Guettel. It was a big hit among my NY friends, but again, I have never seen it. It will be a scaled down version of the Broadway production, but I still look forward to hearing the songs in context and look forward to see what Molly Smith, Arena’s A.D., does with this musical.

The second show I really want to see at Arena is Sophisticated Ladies. I have actually seen this show before, but this time it will star Maurice Hines, whom I love. I worked with him at Arena’s announcement of the Mead Center, and he was so charming and talented I can’t wait to see what he does with this role.

Speaking of roles, did someone say Helen Mirren? Yes, she will be at the Shakespeare Theatre Company in September, and I cannot wait to see this. Tickets were sold out so fast that I will be one of few who get to see her in the only U.S. engagement, and I can’t wait. Yes, that is me looking forward to seeing a play.

Just when you couldn’t believe I was looking forward to seeing a play...I am also looking forward to another play, and a Shakespearean play at that. As You Like It at the Shakespeare Theatre Company will happen in November / December. I worked on this show in college, and I really do enjoy it...and this production in particular will take an interesting twist and will be a pretty large scale production. I have always been impressed with the technical work at STC as it is often as good, if not better, than shows I have seen on Broadway.

Another play. The Picture of Dorian Gray at Round House Theatre in Bethesda. I want to make this book into a modern musical, so I want to see how Roundhouse has adapted it and see it on stage for the first time.

I am also excited about The Last Cargo Cult at Woolly Mammoth Theatre. It is a one man show by Mike Daisey, and I just think the concept is interesting. This is taken from the website: “…Worshipers of cargo left behind by American GI’s, these islanders build meticulous bamboo replicas of Western engineering, re-enact scenes from internet broadcasts, and summon American power through sympathetic magic. What does our economic crisis mean to them, and what can they teach us about wealth and wishful thinking?” Interesting right? We will see.

Ford's Theatre is doing Little Shop of Horrors in the spring, and this is another show that I adore. I have seen it on stage 4 times and look forward to see how Ford’s takes on this giant plant. It is one of those musicals that is just fun to see.

I saved Signature Theatre for last. Why? Because I want to see everything in their season. I love the work they do and love musicals, so I will try and see everything. They have one play this year, I Am My Own Wife, and it will be directed by the very talented Alan Paul. I have never seen a show directed by Paul before, nor have I seen this Pulitzer Prize-winning play. Other shows in their season are Dirty Blonde, Show Boat, Sweeny Todd, Title of Show, and a new musical titled Sycamore Trees.

So, there you have it. My DC play list for this year. Which shows are you looking forward to?


1 comment:

  1. I saw "I am My Own Wife" at Everyman in Baltimore last February - very good show - a little odd, but then so is the subject. I got the flyer from Everyman and they are doing Mystery of Irma Vep this fall - I loved the production that Studio Theatre did w/ Floyd King several years ago. Would love to see this again

    ReplyDelete