Thursday, August 20, 2009

A New Conversation on the Arts

Rocco Landesman was recently appointed as the Chairman of the NEA. Mr. Landesman spoke at my graduation of the 14 week Commercial Theatre Institute. He was impressive and I was grateful he was chosen to speak. He was different than most of the speakers at CTI because he didn’t tell stories about producing or give advice about getting into the business, but spoke about the Arts and how important they are. I think we are lucky to have Rocco in DC and I look forward to seeing what changes he can bring to the NEA. I posted his statement to America from the NEA website below.





“Hello, I am Rocco Landesman. I am honored to serve the country in my new role as Chairman of the National Endowment for the Arts. The Arts Endowment is dedicated to supporting excellence in the arts, both new and established; bringing the arts to all Americans; and providing leadership in arts education.

We’re at an exciting time in our nation’s history. Now, more than ever, the arts matter in America. The arts are central to our nation’s civic, economic, and cultural vitality. The arts reflect who we are and what we stand for – freedom of expression, imagination, and vision.

Arts education is indispensible to raising America’s next generation of creative, innovative thinkers. We will continue to work with our partners to help bring quality arts programs to neighborhoods and communities across the country.

I look forward to a new conversation on the arts in America.

Thank you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment