Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Open Up

I have been doing a lot of reading and recently came up with what I thought was a great marketing idea. I had even done some small sample tests to see what would happen. I have never worked in marketing but being somewhat of an “out of the box” thinker I do have some ideas every now and then.

How often do you have a great idea for another department? Do you think they really will listen?

I wasn’t sure how to make a pitch of my idea so I sat on it until I had a marketing meeting, which was suppose to be about my department and how to improve the marketing. Well, I made the pitch toward the beginning and by the end of the meeting we had gone over by one and a half hours and I had pitched the idea 4 times as they kept bringing more people into the room.

I couldn’t believe how open our Marketing Department was to a new idea from someone outside their department. I don’t know if the idea will end up happening or not but it was exciting to see how open they were. It made me wonder what people outside my department thought about Bookings. Maybe someone in our company had a brilliant idea on who I should book or a different idea to generate more money. I encourage you all to ask people outside your department or company what they think. They may not have anything great to impart on you but maybe they do. I would give up an entire day of meetings to have one new and great idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment