Friday, June 5, 2009

Tony Time!

It is time for the Tony’s. Last night I was having dinner with a good friend and he reminded me of one of my goals when I was in college. It was to have a Tony by now or be working for a producer that would be up for a Tony. Sadly, I haven’t done either. But that is okay. I set high goals for myself. My goals sometime seem unreachable but I say why not try.

By setting high goals I was managing the backstage of the Fabulous Fox Theatre before I graduated college. I got into the 14 week Commercial Theatre Institute and learned from some of the best Producers on Broadway and I even have a very small part in a future Broadway show. Not too bad for only being 27. Yes, I would like to have accomplished more but I feel good about where I have been and where I am going. I am very happy at the Shakespeare Theatre and hope to further my career more there in the next couple of years.

My new goal is to have a Tony by 2017. Seems so far away. Wish me luck!

P.S. Watch the Tony Awards Sunday Night!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck! I don't care if I ever win a Tony myself, but I want my friends to! I'm an intern at the Muny this summer, sort of working for Paul Blake, whose show is nominated for 2 Tonys... that counts, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, here's the question . . . Should having the Tony be the goal (something beyond your control) or producing good, profitable theatre with sound and ethical business practices?

    I find in this business, there are goals we have control over and goals we don't. I find it interesting that your goal is to win a popularity contest . . . not a bad goal, just interesting. (And of course, this form the man who is a little bitter there is no Tony for Stage Management.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point Matthew. Who doesn't want to be popular? Of course I plan to produce good work with good ethical practices. But lots of people do that and true some don't win the Tony (Next to Normal). I would be happy to get a show on Broadway and that is another goal. But winning a Tony isn't a bad thing. There is something to having a good show and taking the Tony. They should go hand in hand but winning the Tony is a another ballgame all together. I want to win all the games that we have. :)

    ReplyDelete