Thursday, June 11, 2009

Yes, You Are A Brand

Everyone here is a brand. We may think of social media as a way to kill time at work, but with this new form of connection moving in all around us, we are actually building brands of ourselves for our peers. Ever since I started accepting my Missouri Thespian students as friends on Facebook, I started to edit my wall. I keep the sexual stuff and profanity off my Facebook. I don’t want that representing me. I am more careful about the pictures posted and things I post, too. My Facebook, Twitter and Blog all represent me.

Some people ask, "Why not just set the privacy to high?" Because that is not me. I want to be open and honest with the people that want to “follow” me. You may not know it, but you are building a brand of yourself with every post. People learn more and more about you. Their opinion is shaped by what they read and the information they can gather online.


I am not trying to scare you into not posting, but just trying to make you think about every post and making sure you represent yourself to the public. Everything you put online could end up on the front page of the NY Times. So just be more careful about what you are representing.


No comments:

Post a Comment