Friday, May 22, 2009

Dive Right In

I told you a couple of days ago about my meeting with Edgar Dobie from Arena Stage. Well, in that meeting we were talking about my job as a Booking Manager and how bookings affect the Shakespeare Theatre and I told him about a bi-monthly meeting I started with the other regional theatres that handle rentals. I asked if maybe he wanted to send someone from Arena to the meeting.

I was so impressed by him in our meeting that it wasn’t too surprising when he said he wanted to attend himself. I know, and I am sure he knows, that this could easily be passed off to someone below him but he wanted to jump in and get an understanding of what the meeting was about before sending someone else.

As a leader it is so easy to pass things off to staff but really good leaders jump in and get their feet wet. They want to understand the organization from top to bottom. Think of all meetings your staff goes to on your behalf. I suggest you step in on some of those meetings to get a better understand of your organization or your production. Knowledge is power so learn more about what people on the inside of your company are doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment