Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Work / Life Balance

Luckily, for people in theatre we love what we do. Most of our friends probably have the similar interest in theatre. I used to work for a small theatre in Maryland that shall remain nameless. While I was there I hated my job. I was working 60 hours a week on average and had little personal time. The time I did take off I felt very guilty and always ended up doing some work remotely.

I am not sure the reason I hated being there was entirely the company’s fault. I think some of it was on me as a manager. I had a very poor work / life balance. Now I understand how important that is in my career. I need time to be away and have time to myself. We are not surgeons and most things are not life and death. We as managers or producers sometimes need to let go a little and trust the people we have hired.

I am very fortunate in my job to have an associate. He is my savor some days because I can trust him to make decisions on my behalf. If you have the best around it allows you the time to be away.

Take time for yourself. Get out of the office or theatre and see friends and do things outside of your work life. It will keep you happier and more focused when you are in the office or theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment