Thursday, May 21, 2009

Networking 2.4

I have a goal every week of networking in and outside my company. One of the many goals I try and set for myself. I try and have two meals each week to network. I have one with a co-worker and one with someone outside of the company.

Lunch is the best time to catch up and get to know a co-worker. It is simple and yet powerful. It is great to get to know someone from another department and get to know what they do. You can better understand how you / your department can better interact with them and their department. By reaching out it shows you have a genuine interest in them. Bosses are always important but it is also just as important to get to know their assistants as they have a more open understanding of the interworking of departments. Don’t forget to also make friends with those box office staff members. How many times do you need to get good seats on short notice? There are lots of people that you probably interact with on a small basis. Reach out and meet them and understand how you can work better together.

Dinner or drinks are a great time to get out and meet people from other theatres or outside of your industry. By meeting with them you never know what might come from it. In my case I have gotten more clients, tickets to other events, ect. You just never know and reaching out never hurts.

I suggest you start to set your own networking goals. Meet people inside and outside your company. Expand your network and watch how fast those little meals pay off.

2 comments:

  1. Amen Jared-be nice to your box office staff! You were such a good friend to our office when we all worked together. **Tammy**

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Lets do lunch soon! Thanks for reading the blog.

    ReplyDelete