Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Networking 2.1

It surprises me how many people build their networks, just to let them deteriorate. One of the keys to having a great network is following up and staying in touch.

My assistant makes fun of me the day after a networking event because I spend an hour that morning writing cards. Nothing major, just little notes to follow up on conversations I had with people. This is one of the ways following up makes a difference. Only about 1 out of 10 of those cards leads to a working relationship, but I still follow up because the numbers, however small, start to add up.

Another thing people forget to do is stay in touch. This means with past employers, former teachers, and classmates. I try to not let 6 months go by without talking to the key people in my network. This could be a dinner if we are in town or just an email to see what they are up too. And let’s not even get started on Christmas cards.

I am lucky enough to attend the
Missouri State Thespian conference every year as a presenter. I always arrive 24 hours before the conference. Why? Because this is where I went to school and worked before moving out east. I start my day at the Fox Theatre where I see old friends and my former boss. Then I am off to Webster to see some of my former professors, and while I am there I stop by the Repertory Theatre of St. Louis to see everyone. Then, in the evening, I catch up with other presenters at the conference. It is a very busy day, but it so valuable to me. It keeps me connected to several people from four different organizations. That is why I take an extra day off of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment